Once you have employed the services of a professional mold inspection and testing provider, and it has been determined that the mold contamination present within your environment is less than 10 square feet in size, and can be safely handled on your own, there are a number of measures that can be taken to effectively treat and kill mold growth within your home.
It is important to keep in mind that you will never rid yourself of a mold problem unless you also properly control the moisture source that is contributing to your mold growth. In other words, you need to find the source of the moisture, and fix it! It is only after the moisture issue is resolved that you can properly and effectively treat the mold contamination present.
The treatment method described below is just one of many methods that may be used to help clean a mold contamination. It is important to use whichever method of mold removal you are personally comfortable with and use your own discretion. Above all, remember to always be safe and take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and your household. If you are not comfortable doing the task yourself, hire a professional mold remediation specialist.
1) Seal or mask off the impacted area
In order to prevent the spread of mold spores to other areas of your home during the cleanup process, it is important to properly isolate the impacted area. A plastic sheet can be used and it would be best to maintain a negative pressure in the isolated area so that any mold spores released into the environment cannot spread to other living areas. It is also recommended that plastic sheets be placed over the floor and walls that are directly adjacent to the mold being addressed. It is important to ensure that all openings (air vents windows and doors) be properly covered to minimize the amount of spores that can escape into other areas of the home.
2) Always us PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
Whenever handling or attempting to clean a mold contamination, it’s important to ensure you are properly protected. As mold has the ability to irritate your respiratory system, your skin and also your eyes, it is recommended to wear a breathing respirator with proper HEPA filtration cartridges, goggles and gloves. It is also important to remember to not use a fan or regular home vacuum as the unfiltered air movement that is produced by these devices can further spread mold spores throughout your home, and also create a larger burden of particulates in the air.
3) Prepare equipment and treat effected area
Start by cleaning the contamination first; whether you choose to use household chemicals like bleach or professional anti-fungal/fungicide treatment, or a combination of both, it is important that you spray and douse the impacted area of mold contamination thoroughly. Once it is saturated and you have waited 15 minutes, scrub and clean the affected area with disposable rags or paper towels. Remember not to reuse or save the rags after using them to clean any mold. Make sure you change the rags or paper towels you are using frequently to prevent spreading any spores that may be attached to the towels surface.
4) Vacuum area with proper HEPA vacuum
Prepare yourself by renting a specialized HEPA vacuum to help encapsulate any spores. These special HEPA vacuums have heavy duty filters that are specifically designed to remove allergens, toxins and particulates from surfaces. They can be used to vacuum floors, walls, furniture and other personal items.
Once the mold contamination has been properly cleaned and the surface area is dry, use the HEPA vacuum to clean off any mold spores that may have been left behind, or attached themselves to floors, walls, furniture, or belongings. Dispose of the paper towels, rags, and vacuum filters and bags in a heavy duty plastic garbage bag.
Make sure to wash all attire worn during cleanup immediately to get rid of any spores that may be left behind on your clothing.