One of the most preferred products to kill mold is baking soda. This is because the product is completely safe for humans and pets, is moisture absorbing and it acts as a deodorizer. The latter helps to remove that musty smell that mold leaves behind.
Before you start any mold removal project, be sure to pick up protective gear and equipment in order to avoid any mold related health problems.
- Start by mixing on tablespoon of baking soda to a bottle of water.
- Shake the bottle to dissolve the baking soda into the water.
- Spray the baking soda-water solution directly onto the moldy area. DO NOT spray the solution onto a cloth or sponge and wipe the are. This will only send spores airborne allowing them to move throughout your home.
- Let the solution sit shortly to saturate and then use a sponge or scrubbing brush and lightly brush the moldy surface to clean it.
- Once you’ve scrubbed away the mold rinse the surface with water to clean it.
- Spray the area with the spray bottle again and let the surface dry. This will kill any left over mold and help t prevent future mold growth.
TIP: Add vinegar to your baking soda solution (or when cleaning up with water) to increase the odds of killing the mold species.
Disclaimer: Mold is a very serious and can be very damaging to your health. Unless you are certain that the type of mold you are dealing with is non toxic, you should never attempt to remove it yourself. A certified mold inspector can tell you the type of mold you have.